Connect with us

Treasure Hunt Forum

Forrest Fenn Tarry scant ButtonTarry Scant Look Up

When did Forrest hi...

When did Forrest hide the treasure?  

Sacha Johnston
Active Member Author

Sean Dodson did a Fennsomnia last night, and it was pretty interesting.  He started talking about Forrest hiding the chest before the poem is complete. I agree with this, but I want to share my theory about it and see what you guys think.

We all know about the raid on his home in 2009. We also know that the treasure chest was in his home during that raid because it was photographed.

I believe this event was the Catalyst for Forrest hiding the treasure and starting the treasure hunt. I believe he became afraid after the raid, and was worried he would not be able to accomplish his goal before more serious actions would occur. He wasn't sure what was going to happen as a result of this raid. And as we all know, at least one other person committed suicide because of the consequences of that raid. There may have even been two who did so.

I believe the treasure hunt was launched when it was as a result of these events. I know he had worked on it for many years, but these events could have created a situation where he was afraid he would never get to do it. This was his passion and his hobby for many years. Something must have caused him to hide it before he was ready. I don't think Forrest is easily scared, so I have to think it was something major that occurred which forced his hand.

I think Forrest waited until he felt secure, then he went and hid his treasure. I think this was a short period of time after the raid. He would have then felt compelled to finish the poem and launch the treasure hunt as quickly as possible. This could also explain the difference in tenses in the poem.

This is just a theory of mine. I have no proof to back up what I have speculated here. But, I do believe Sean is right in that Forrest hit the treasure before the poem was complete, especially because Forrest told us he did. I don't believe that matters in finding the chest, but I think it explains why it was done before he was ready.

Sacha 

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Sacha Johnston
Posted : 08/06/2019 8:49 am
alfredHC, Seannm and Bolo liked
Milan
New Member Registered

June 5th, 2009 has always been a huge date for my solve.  It's also the day he postage-stamped the TTOTC gold chapter ("FRIDAY 5 JUN").

So when I read that the Feds raided his home on 12 June, 2009, I was always suspicious that he was tipped off somehow and therefore he hid the chest 1 week earlier on June 5th.

Has it been established, for certain, that the chest was present during that raid?  If so, I believe you, but I just haven't seen the FBI reports, photos, etc.  Until then, I like my theory that he got it out of house before it was too late.  That might also explain why he doesn't want the chest back when it's found.  Conspiracy theories are fun sometimes 🙂

This post was modified 3 months ago by Milan
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 12:36 pm
Junglecruzr
 Junglecruzr
(@Junglecruzr)

But there was some profit in the deal because it provided me with a rule I would remember, “When testing the depth of the water, don’t do it with both feet.” I think that was the rule, but maybe not, I had so many.

Hears a little something from f it was in a vignette over on Dals'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 1:48 pm
Seannm liked
Sacha Johnston
Active Member Author

Forrest claims it was still in his home at the time of the raid, and that photos of every item inside was taken. 

I know it's a little off topic, but it supports Sean's discussion about poem tenses. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2019 3:44 pm
hunterlane9321
New Member Registered

interesting 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2019 1:12 pm
Seannm
Trusted Member Author

Sacha,

Great thoughts as always! If I can add to your catalyst thoughts it would be this: The death of JD Salinger, and the fact that many of his books were kept in a vault never to be published.  Forrest must have thought: what if i die tomorrow standing on a street corner waiting for the light to turn green, much like his good friend Eric Sloane. His story would never be told along with the treasure never being hidden. So like he writes in the passage just prior to the poem: And like Eric Slaone, at age almost-eighty, I figured it was time to act. And doesn't that tie nicely in with the preface and his mention of his good friend?

"Indecision is the key to flexibility",  as Forrest says just prior to the poem. "And that's why I waited so long to secret my cache." So Forrest is admitting to being a procrastinator, in my opinion. Coupled with JD's death and his impending 80th birthday, he finally acted. 

Seannm 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Seannm
ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2019 6:14 pm
Richard Cron
 Richard Cron
(@Richard Cron)

I too believe the year was 2009. Forrest has said the month was either July or August. But since his 79th birthday would have been on August 22, all else being factual, he would have hidden it sometime between August 22 and August 31. And I believe that was about the earliest he could have accessed his special place due to stream runoff. It may also be good advice pertaining to both the search window and the place. Consider that he must have had some urgency following the raid but was limited by site accessibility due to runoff. Does your solve fit this scenario? Maybe it should, IMO.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2019 1:54 pm

Leave a reply

Maximum allowed file size is 250MB

Share:

Forrest Fenn Treasure Youtube Head

Man Alone

Flip Side

Sacha Johnston-FTH

Jason Dent-FTH

Bill Gorman

Men Are So Smart

Rodney Greenway

Illinois Ghost

Banning Policy

There will not be any banning of users on this forum.  However, each Room Owner and the Site Administrator  can delete comments.

Working

Please Login or Register